CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 1, 2011

Knorr - It's What's IN Dinner

Recently, Blogher and Knorr teamed up to host an AMAZING contest. A recipe contest.

I was one of the lucky Blogher bloggesses that was chosen to participate.

I have waited about a month to post this blog because I wanted to see the winners before I wrote my blog. Unfortunately, I was not one of the 8 who were able to move on.

Now, that doesn't mean my recipe doesn't kick butt because it does!! I guarantee it.

Knorr, recently introduced their new Homestyle Stock. It has NO MSG added, it's low in fat, and Cholesterol Free. All things that are important for a healthy life style. Plus, it's made with the finest ingredients, like fresh veggies. And being a mother of three growing kiddos... it's important to me to give my children quality TASTY foods.

So, I took one of my regular recipes and decided to spruce it up a bit. I was a bit worried since it's a family favorite, but  thought I would give it a try.

  • 1 lbs chicken breast
  • 1 pkg of  Chicken Homestyle Stock
  • 1 onion (white or yellow will work)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • tablespoon of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon of chiptole (more if you like it SPICY)
  • salt to taste (be careful with salt... the stock has salt AND when the water boils down it may leave the chicken too salty... I usually add towards the end)
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
Get a big soup pot (2 qt or bigger), fill 2/3 with water.  Bring to boil. Once water is boiling whisk in the Homestyle Stock. This will give you a great base. (turn heat down after stock made)

Roughly, chop up the onion and put in stock. Crush the garlic and add to stock as well.

I then season the water. I season it BEFORE I add the chicken so I can taste it. (Add spices, salt and pepper). Then taste!! What do you think?? Does it need some more cumin (strength will depend on quality of product)? Do you want it to be spicier?? Adjust the recipe to fit YOUR FAMILY.

Once you get the stock to the taste you like, add the chicken. Let the chicken simmer covered for a few hours.

I usually make this around lunch time so it will be perfect for dinner. Throughout the day, add water so the chicken stays covered. OR it will dry it out. YUCK.

Now you have a great stock and wonderful tasting chicken. What to do next?!?! The possibilities are endless!!

Normally, I shred the chicken and make tacos, burritos or nachos with it. BUT KEEP THE STOCK. If there's left over chicken, you can add the chicken back into the stock and make Chicken Tortilla soup (or my version of it... I will post a recipe the next post)

Here's some examples of the tacos I made with this chicken recipe:

Some fun toppings!! Cheese, Feta, English Cucumber, Lettuce, etc.

Mediterranean inspired chicken tacos. Squeeze a hint of lemon on top, add English cucumber, tomato and Feta



Mexican Street Tacos... one of my fave style. Little Lime, cilantro and white onion.

The American. Shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, and salsa!! YUM


 
The youngest enjoying his supper.






0 comments: